The Billion Steps Challenge 2020
In 2017, The World Transplant Games Federation held our first Billion Steps Challenge to promote physical activity within the Transplant Community. We had 1570 participants in 241 teams from 33 countries and together we reached 810,850,047 steps. This year, together with our partner Novartis, we invite you back to team up and join our ambitious goal to collectively walk 1 Billion Steps…to the Moon and Back! Covid-19 may have kept many of us apart with restrictions on social interactions and travel, but this challenge allows us to come together as a community, promote organ donation and transplantation and get active, ensuring we remain Fit for Life.
Everything you need to know about The Billion Steps Challenge:
• Challenge runs over 10 weeks from 5th October – 13th December 2020
• Our aim is to reach 1 Billion Steps collectively…
• Create Teams: Each team must have a minimum of 2 people, with a maximum of 5 people
• Teams will nominate a Team Captain (team captains should register first)
• Once you have registered, find and join your team…don’t forget to add a fun team photo!
• We are partnering with MoveSpring – an online fitness platform which allows users to track your steps, your team progress and engage with others
• A link will be provided to direct you to the MoveSpring platform via your mobile device or web browser
• We recommend using your mobile device to join so you can use the Friends feature, collect badges and add your own User Created Challenges
• Connect your fitness device and sync your steps daily or choose manual entry
• All exercise / physical activities count and can be converted to steps with our Converter Guide. This means a cycle, swim or yoga class can all be converted to steps!
• Anyone can enter – transplant recipients, living donors, donor families, health professional, friends, families, work colleagues, supporters
• Great giveaways up for grabs with our weekly activity challenges
• Registration opens on MoveSpring from 18th September 2020. Full promotional details, flyers and information on how to register will be distributed on Friday 18th September 2020
Registration now at MoveSpring
Let’s get active, Let’s get moving, Let’s get Fit for Life!
App Code: WTGF20
Billion Steps Timeline:
• Fri 18th Sep 2020 – Registration for the challenge will open. This will allow everyone to register, start creating their teams, test syncing of their devices and familiarise themselves with the app and its features
• Mon 5th October 2020 – CHALLENGE COMMENCES!
• Throughout the challenge – a new fun activity will be set every week of the challenge with opportunities for everyone to win a WTGF branded hoodie. All challenges will be announced and promoted through social media and the “in app” communications
• Sunday 13 December 2020 – Challenge ends
How to promote The Billion Steps Challenge:
• Share the event across your social media platforms: Please ensure you share the flyer and additional marketing materials on your website and other social media platforms
• Email your current database: Engage with those already connected to your Organisation and encourage participation
• Invite Participants outside of the Transplant Community and raise awareness: Encourage work colleagues, family and friends, your local running and gym club members to join and create teams. Why not challenge each transplant recipient to create their own team.
• Challenge other Teams / Organisations / Transplant Units: Create a healthy competition atmosphere and encourage teams to become internal champions of their health and fitness. Perhaps different territories / offices / teams want to challenge each other?